A green card provides the holder with permanent, lawful residency to the United States. It allows you to reside and work in the U.S on a permanent basis. There are different categories for employment-based green cards: EB1, EB2, and EB3.

These three categories will grant you permanent residence based on your employment skills.

EB1: If you are an employee with an extraordinary ability in sciences, arts, education, business or athletics you fall into this category. This is generally for professors, researchers and Ph.D. holders. It will also include those who work as managers or executives on an international transfer basis. It also includes people working in U.S as managers and executives on international transfer basis. Professionals will have to meet certain requirements for each occupational category.

EB2: The EB2 category is for those with advanced degrees (which is a Master’s degree or higher). If you are an employee with extraordinary ability in sciences, the arts or business, and you hold an advanced degree, you will fall into this category. Professionals who hold degrees will be eligible in this category if they have a job offer from a US company. You must be able to show that your abilities will benefit the national interests of the US.

EB3: If you have a professional degree, such as a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree you will fall into this category; this category includes all other skilled workers as well. This category does include unskilled workers, too, if they are able to obtain the approval of an employer who has a PERM application from the Department of Labor. If they have this application, they can sponsor an employee for permanent residence.

Questions, contact one a green card attorney or immigration attorney at Michael Iakovou and Associates today.